Thursday, February 12, 2009

1900's-Present M1 155mm Long Tom (Cannon)


The Long Tom is a field gun used widely by the united states during the world war II era. It has a barrel length of 22 feet and 9 inches, with a 155mm or 6.1 inch caliber. This cannon was used for long range shots.Firing with a maximum velocity of 2,800 ft./s and with a maximum range of 1.6 miles. The Long Tom uses many different types of ammunition such as smoke and deadly chemical releasing shells, Depending on the projectile, ammunition can be fired with anything from TNT (dynamite) too Sulfur trioxide in chlorosulfonic acid. The cannon was often used to fend of attackers before they got to friendly lines. The Long Tom could shoot further all depending on the angle at which it is fired. I is often situated between 30 and 60 degrees to achieve maximum affect.

4 comments:

  1. I think your layout is very good and the picture draws my eye to the article. The only thing is that your topic sentence could use some more something to make it more instresting. I wowuld also like to know how many people it takes to work something that big and how much it cost to build something that big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously we all couldn't find as much info as we wanted to find, so it isn't as long and descriptive as you may have wanted it to be. But for what you have it is good. I didn't think there were any spelling errors and there was some info about the 1800's Howitzer I didn't even know myself even after researching it yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the picture you used,since it shows how large this cannon really is, and I disagree with Andy: I think you have a lot of information on it. however, maybe try to find some about the effects of the economy because of the weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's awesome! i think thats very well written and you had a great amount of information...what are friendly lines?

    ReplyDelete